Thursday 15 October 2015

First post! Welcome to Cheek and Cheese


Welcome to Cheek and Cheese, my new gaming blog where I will mainly be discussing board games, LCG's and wargames.


I've been playing games all my life in some form or another but certainly as I've gotten older I have got more and more into tabletop games of all sorts, be it mini based ones like Warhammer, 40k or X-wing, CCG's' like Magic the gathering, LCG's like lord of the rings/conquest/game of thrones or just table board based games like Zombicide, rum and bones, Catan, or Pandemic.



I previously ran the 40k project (40kproject.blogspot.com) when I was obsessed with Warhammer 40k, however a few years ago this died when I didn't like the direction that games workshop were going with the game and I moved on to better and brighter things.



Why Cheek and cheese, isn't the expression chalk and cheese? and what does that have to do with gaming

Basically it has nothing to do with the expression, cheek and cheese is the very core of my gaming group, the pure essence of how it seems to play and form around everything we seem to play, no matter how it starts and with what intentions, we always end up with cheek and cheese so we learn to embrace it and figured thats just who we are.

The mighty Mice and Mystics cheese wheel

But what is it?

Cheese in gaming is quite often defined as when something is over powered, when you are using that cheesy unit you are using the amazing one, the bent one, the over tuned one, lets face it the term has been around for a long time and if you have not heard it where have you been! our group loves finding the cheese, they start out with whats available but give it time, give it a few games and before you know it, the cheese rises like a (cheddar flavoured) phoenix from the flames.

Cheek is the second aspect, cheek is being cheeky, its the banter aspect of the game, the having a laugh as you play, the cheeky little combo, the cheeky counter spell that ruins your well laid plan, the cheeky dice roll that saves your guy at the last min and finally the cheek of that little play that someone just did that is completely wrong and gets called out as cheating banter but really its just that the person that did it is tired or a bit too high.



What will I see here?

If you have managed to read this far, good work! I intend to post reviews of games I play, battle reports, news on upcoming games and things like kickstarters you should care about plus my personal rantings and view points and occasionally should the mood take me a spot of painting.

Thanks for dropping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment